Sunday, August 12, 2007

Former TSA Employee Full Disclosure for TSA Blog

I started this blog for a variety of reasons, some personal and some for the public good. I am new to blogging so I am just learning the ropes. I would like people to read and know what really goes on with TSA. In order for you to know that I really know, a friend suggested I write a post about me and how it is I know.

Here is my disclosure, I say full, but I did work for TSA so legally there are some things I just can't say. Although jail couldn't be any worse than working for TSA, I am not going to take the chance on being wrong.

I worked for TSA for almost 5 years. I was the first class that took over an International Airport from private screeners. I have seen it all the good, the bad and the ugly. I have worked in the checkpoint, in baggage and in the Cargo area. Yes, I was the annoying officer who made you take your shoes off, patted you down and took away your property. Clarification so I don't go to jail. I disposed of properly and informed surrending of items that were not allowed on the plane.

I took the job because well it is a Federal job and who wouldn't. The pay and benefits rivaled anything in the area that I was qualified for. I enjoyed what I did, that is the protecting the public part of it. I didn't enjoy the smelly shoes, used baby diapers (yes people actually put used baby diapers in their bags), and being yelled at and accussed of violating people.

After a few years it became evident that a grave injustice and hoax was being perpetrated on the traveling public and the employees who worked for TSA. I decided to speak up for the masses which anyone can tell you is not the way to get employee of the year. Due largely to this I was terminated from TSA.....Hold on though don't stop reading yet.

I know that you might read terminated and instantly dismiss what I write as just being the crazed rantings of a disgruntled former employee. That is the furthest from the truth. This is exactly the reaction that TSA wants. When an employee becomes more vocal about TSA's shortcomings and starts to go to the Press and the public then TSA fires them. TSA's goal is to make the public believe the person is just disgruntled and therefore should not be trusted or believed. It might be true in some cases but it is not true in this case.

TSA in a way did me a favor. I allowed my own selfish greed keep me in a job that I was unhappy with and no longer believed in or supported. Fear of what I would do if I didn't have the job also kept me from really saying what was going on. Well, TSA took that fear away when they terminated me. I am not mad at TSA and I am not disgruntled.

You probably don't know but TSA has a policy that says TSA employees can't post things on the web that are bad about TSA. The policy says TSA employees can't make TSA look bad on duty or off duty even if it true. While I was employed with TSA I couldn't do this. Doing this would have gotten me fired. Now though I am free to say whatever I want (ok not whatever there is always the dreaded SSI that can get me put in jail).

I can't discuss fully why I was terminated yet. My termination is under appeal and discussing the specifics could cause some distress to that appeal. However, I will sort it all out and figure out what I can disclose and what I can't. If you are wondering why I am appealing for a job I was unhappy with well it is about the benefits. I was close to five years, very very close and TSA local managment went out of their way to ensure I didn't reach that five years. It would also be nice to clear my name just for me. I could care less what TSA thinks of me but what my children think of me is important and I want them to know that standing up for your rights and the rights of others is a good thing.

I will try to make this blog interesting and funny as well as informative. Check out the tips for getting through security they are very helpful.

Happy Travels.

No comments: